samedi 14 septembre 2013

the reference

- Hi Ayeesha, what's the matter? why do you want to see me ?

Carlos, my department manager looked up at me, as I was hesitantly closing the door and approaching, ill at ease his desk. He offered my a seat.

-It is because... Well it is because, I have, I probably have to reapply for German citizenship, as my mother is from Uganda....
You remember, I 've told you once..."


- Ah. I see. The new immigration law... There is a big fuss about it.  It is probably unconstitutional. Many organisations advise, simply to ignore these  appointments.

- It is just... then... you know,  if I have to reapply, or when I will have to apply again,  I will be considered a foreigner... And then I will already have a record ... Now my chances  to get my citizenship back are quite good, probably just a formality, but with a record of missing the appointment...

-Look Ayeesha, this is precisely where you have to decide: You want to play their game? You want to present yourself in front of such a board ? Giving them the opportunity to claim, with their figures, that their law is the most efficient ever, that all these "working" Germans with foreign origins do not see a problem, that they are following up, that only the "parasites" exploiting the social systems are targeted and identified?
Why don't you just call D1, their propaganda service and give an interview: "Yes, even if I do not look like it,  I am a German girl. Yes, my mother comes from Africa. Yes, I am working and paying taxes. Yes, I am going to this appointment they gave me, because I do not have to hide anything. Yes, I am reapplying for German citizenship. No, I do not bother about discrimination and segregation, I am just so thankful and glad to be accepted by this great country..." They love this! They place such statements all over!

.....

- So you would not write me a reference...

- It makes me sick only to think of such a thing.... 
....
....
... well, if you insist. I do not want to be blamed and to have to look for a new media coordinator,because the former one had been deported to, what was it?  Uganda?.... Where is Uganda?


- East Africa... close to Kenya


- Yes, now I remeber,  I just saw an add recently on a booking website... That's where you come from?

- Well, my mother...

- You must have told me, but somehow I've always connected you to a European country. Probably because you have told us a lot about France all the time...

- Because I've lived there for three years...

- Having a closer look, yes it is right Ayeesha, there is definitely something African in your appearance. I wonder, that it never really crossed my mind....

No problem, you will get that reference by tomorrow....

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire